Thursday, April 23, 2015

Expanding the Herb Garden

With spring right around the corner I have been feeling pretty ambitious.  Over the past year my cute little herb garden has turned into somewhat of a little jungle.  When I started growing it last year I had no idea how quickly it would grow or how much it would yield.  I was really surprised how my green thumb has developed, I haven’t killed any herbs and they are growing like crazy. 



My family secretly loves when I cook with our fresh herbs…they usually don’t know but they always have seconds.  J  I decided yesterday because of how much of a hit my garden is, I should expand it and plant some new herbs.  I had no intention of making it larger or planting more when I first started but our family loves it and I like being able to share it with friends.






Yesterday I started planning out how I am going to make it larger and what herbs I want to attempt to grow.  Expanding my outdoor herb garden took more time planning than I thought it would.  I had to figure out if I could transplant and move herbs so they have enough room to grow and to see which way I could expand the garden without hitting any power lines.  I felt like an architect or something like that.



This morning I went to the hardware store to pick up some new garden stones and some healthy black soil for my expansion project.  I was motivated to start moving stones and building up the walls…then I tried moving the ones that have been in the ground for a year; it wasn’t happening.  I decided I needed my husband’s muscles to help. 

In the mean time until he gets home, I have be looking up other herbs to plant in the garden.  I already have a healthy growing amount of mint, chives, parsley, basil, sage, and thyme.  The mint plant is probably one of my favorites; I love mixing it in drinks and when I am cooking vegetables.  I guess I can’t really say it is my favorite, I love all the herbs I have planted. J

I think I want to add some rosemary to use with olive oil and cheeses, tarragon to cook with rice and tofu, and cilantro to add to sandwiches and guacamole.  Adding these three should be enough herbs for me now.  I don’t want to go over board and create an even larger jungle. 
Since planting my herb garden I have used so many more fresh herbs while cooking.  It is so convenient to just walk outside and find an entire garden full of flavors.  I can’t wait until my expansion project is done and I have even more herbs.


Go Green and Stay Keen, 

Julie

12 comments:

  1. How awesome that you are growing so many herbs! I love cooking with fresh ingredients.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We have some herbs growing inside. We just planted some watermelons, pumpkins, and sunflowers outside a few weeks ago, little later than we probably should have but oh well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Quick trick: chop up single types of herb or create a blend (i.e Italian), then divide into ice cube trays, pour water or stock (chicken or veg) to fill up the tray. Freeze for 48 hrs. Pop them out of the tray and put in a freezer ziplock bag. Keep in the freezer, take out one or 2 at a time. Now you have pre-chopped herbs for soups or entrees.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like using fresh herbs, too. I have a few herbs planted in pots. I can't wait to see how the expansion turned out.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love herb gardens! As a Master Gardener my specialty is herbs. I have taught all kinds of classes on them and love having people try fresh herbs in dishes so they can see the difference! I hope you continue to enjoy your garden and get many years of joy from it!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I haven't grown herbs before. But we just grew some tomatoes and we were quite successful.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I totally love cooking with fresh herbs and am trying to eat more natural foods, but I suck so bad at my gardens

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds like a very useful post indeed. I do love herbs and herbal products. My husband loves herbal planting. This herbal gardening is really a great idea to get flavored air, bringing nature closer to you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have been looking at starting an herb garden. I am moving next month so I'm going to wait until after the move since it's across country, but exctied to try then

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am going to buy some fresh herbs on our next shopping trip. I love the smell of fresh basil.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love herbs! I want to grow mint, rosemary, lavender, lemon thyme...so much!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love it, hope to have my own one day. :)

    ReplyDelete

Subscribe