Monday, August 31, 2015

Harvesting Fresh Herbs

After planting my herb garden last year I have had so much success with growing and harvesting all my herbs.  I don’t know why I didn’t plant one sooner.  With it being the peak of summer I have found myself using more and more herbs in salads, drinks, and as an additive to many summer dishes.



I have encouraged many of my friends to plant an herb garden and they are just as pleased as I am.  One question they always come back to me with, is how to harvest them and dry them for use.  It is not tricky but it is good to know how.



Here is how I harvest my fresh herbs.

How to dry fresh herbs-


Cut the healthy branches you want to dry from your herb plant and remove any dry, diseased, yellowed, or spotted leaves.  Then shake gently to remove any dirt or bus that may still be on them.

Get rid of the lower leaves, about an inch along the bottom of the branch. Make bundles of 4-6 branches and tie together using a string or rubber band.  The bundles will shrink as they dry so it is important to keep an eye on them so you don’t lose any branches.

Use a paper bag and cut multiple small holes and label the bag so you remember what herb you are drying.  Insert the herbs upside down in the paper bag and close the bag with a string and hang the bag upside down in a warm airy room.

Check your herbs weekly to make sure they are progressing along until they are dried and ready to store. And enjoy your freshly dried herbs.

How to freeze fresh herbs-


Cut the healthy branches you want to freeze from your herbs and remove any dry, diseased, yellowed, or spotted leaves.  Wash and chop them or leave them in larger springs and leaves.
Pack the wells of an ice cube tray about 2/3 full of herbs and pour extra virgin olive oil or water over the herbs to fill up the well.  (You can mix herbs to create a unique mixture)  Cover lightly with plastic wrap and freeze overnight.

After frozen remove the cubes and store in the freezer in containers or small bags.  Enjoy your frozen herbs whenever you please.

Drying and freezing are the two ways I use the most to keep my herbs longer.  Do you use other ways to preserve your herbs or other methods, I am intrigued to know and try new ways.  Just leave a comment below.

Go green and stay keen,

Julie

14 comments:

  1. I've been wanting to plant an herb garden for the past two years and keep putting it off. I don't know why I think it'll be so hard and time consuming. I'm certain the efforts are worth it and just need to set a date to go out buy what I need and do it right then! I'll have to get to that and come back to this for the harvesting tips. Good information for sure!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does take a bit of devotion to get started but even busy people can tend to one! :) Best of luck!

      Delete
  2. Oooh! This sounds like an amazing idea! I would love to harvest my own herbs one day! Definitely keeping these tips in mind!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We grow and freeze basil every year. It's the one herb that we use a lot of, and nothing beats home-grown!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am planting a garden and a herb garden next year. I am so excited to be able to do all this, it's so awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome to the club! :D You're going to have so much fun!

      Delete
  5. These are so nice. I've been trying to grow my own herbs at home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You'd be surprised how great home grown herbs can be!

      Delete
  6. I have some herbs, too, that I need to dry. Thank you for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Julie,

    Dropping in from the Sunday Blog Hop. Thank you so much for linking up this post! I love using fresh herbs in my cooking. The ice cube idea is fantastic!

    Thanks again for sharing. Hope to see you share again on the linky Sunday :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for participating! :) Best of luck with your herbs!

      Delete

Subscribe