Monday, May 09, 2016

Have you tried Turmeric?

Last month at Liam’s birthday party one of his good friends mothers hung around for a little bit when she dropped her son off.  It had been a while since we chatted about something other than the boy’s school or crazy nonsense.  We were talking about gardening and growing different plants.  She had recently been adding turmeric to her foods because of all the wellness properties and encouraged me to as well.

I had heard of turmeric but never really gave it much thought.  I don’t think I have ever used it to cook or as a wellness supplement in recipes.  I am sure somewhere in the back of my spice rack I have a bottle of the dried stuff lurking.  After listening to my friend rant and rave about this plant, I had to do a little research for myself.

Turmeric contains anti-oxidant, anti-viral, anti-bacterial, anti-fungal, anti-carcinogenic, anti-mutagenic, AND anti-inflammatory properties….man, there are a lot of good “anti’s” there.  Turmeric also contains curcumin, a power substance that has been linked to cancer prevention.


Curcumin has been shown to slow the growth of preexisting cancer tumors and destroy cancer cells.


On top of all the “anti’s” and cancer prevention, turmeric also can relive arthritis, slow the progression of Alzheimer’s disease, reduce the risk of heart disease, liver detoxification, reduce cholesterol, reduce weight gain, regulate insulin levels, reduce cramping, and strengthen the immune system…just in case you needed any more reasons to consume turmeric.

After my research it was clear that I needed to consciously start adding turmeric to my diet.  Instead of digging around in the back of my spice rack I decided to go out and buy some fresh roots, I found some at my local Whole Foods.

I had an idea how to prepare this root but wasn’t 100% sure so I jumped back onto the internet.  I found that peeling it and either slicing, chopping, mincing, or grating it works depending on the recipe.

I found countless recipes to add turmeric to like: smoothies, green juices, marinades, sauces, dressings, pots of rice, homemade veggie burgers, added to tofu scrambles, stir fries, in soups and stews, and so many more.  It is clear that turmeric can be added to just about anything.


I made my first turmeric added soup this afternoon and can’t wait to try it tonight.  I am surprised I haven’t experiment with this fabulous and healthy root before.  Do you use turmeric in your recipes, what are your favorites?

Go Green and Stay Keen,

Julie

6 comments:

  1. Hi there, I tried turmeric and wasn't keen on it - but then again i'm a fussy eater. Interesting article. xx

    www.annanuttall.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Tumeric. I honestly think it is the Wonder spice that everybody should have

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've heard a lot about it too, but never made the plunge to actually try it. I think I will now! What does it taste like??

    ReplyDelete
  4. Turmeric and ginger! LOve them so much. Turmeric came up on food sensitivities for me so I have to stick to mostly ginger.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I haven't cooked with turmeric before, but if I'm remembering correctly, it's used a lot in Indian food. And I love indian food! I'll have to head to my local whole foods!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I LOVE Turmeric! I read an article recently about how studies are showing that turmeric actually helps prevent some cancers. I vowed to add it to more things I eat. lol

    ReplyDelete

Subscribe