Friday, August 17, 2018

Make Your Own Main Ingredients

Ever since I began growing my herb garden in 2014, I always try making my own spices and ingredients and try using natural herbs to achieve that flavor I want.  I have been getting pretty creative with combining herbs, spices, and natural ingredients in recipes and my family loves it.

I was talking to my mother today about my spice mixes and how I have been mixing herbs to make a unique flavor and she said she always used to made her own while I was a kid, I had no idea.  It makes a lot of sense making your own because not only does it save money, you can make it in bulk and make your own special blend.

Here are five ingredients and spices I have recently been making-

Homemade Brown Sugar

Ingredients-
•    1 cup granulated sugar
•    1 tbsp. unsulfured molasses

Instructions-
•    In a bowl mix the sugar and molasses together with your fingers until the molasses is fully absorbed into the sugar.  Seal your brown sugar in a storage container for later use.

Homemade Taco Seasoning

Ingredients-
•    2 tsp. chili powder
•    1 ½ tsp. paprika
•    1 ½ tsp. cumin
•    1 tsp. onion powder
•    ½ tsp. sea salt
•    Dash of cayenne pepper

Instructions-
•    Combine all the ingredients in a Ziploc bag or Tupperware and thoroughly mix and store for later use.  (In recipes 1 package of seasoning equals 3 tbsp.)

In the fall I love making my own Pumpkin Pie Spice

Ingredients-
•    ½ tsp. ground nutmeg
•    1 tsp. ground cloves
•    2 tsp. ground ginger
•    4 tsp. ground cinnamon

Instructions-
•    Combine all the ingredients in a Ziploc bag or Tupperware and thoroughly mix and store for later use.

For grilling Lemon Pepper Seasoning tastes wonderful-

Ingredients-
•    5 or more lemons, zest’ed
•    About 1/3 cup of crushed peppercorn
•    ¼ cup kosher salt

Instructions-
•    Line a baking sheet with parchment paper; spread out and mix the lemon zest and pepper and back on your ovens lowest setting until the lemon is completely dry.
•    Place mixture in a spice grinder and grind until your desired texture.  Mix with the salt and store for later use.

My favorite dressing is Italian, so when I found a recipe for the Italian Dressing Mix I was thrilled!

 

Italian Dressing Mix

Ingredients-
•    1 ½ tsp. garlic powder
•    1 tbsp. onion powder
•    2 tsp. oregano
•    1 tbsp. dried parsley
•    2 tsp. sea salt
•    1 tsp. pepper
•    ½ tsp. thyme
•    ½ tsp. dried celery flakes

Instructions-
•    Mix all the ingredients together and store in a jar. 
•    To make the dressing per serving- mix 2 tbsp. of the mixture with ¼ cup red wine vinegar, 2 tsp. water, and ½ cup olive oil.  Enjoy!

Do you make any of your own spices or ingredients?  I would love to learn to make more!

Go Green and Stay Keen,

Julie

No comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe