Tuesday, September 11, 2018

Beans in the Pantry

I often write about how to make easy dinners and breakfasts when your family is running around like crazy.  If you have young children you know that being busy is just a part of daily life.  Prepping meals before and planning ahead can be hard when your mind is running in a million different places.  When I’m really desperate I turn to my pantry and find something I can throw together. 

Coming up with recipes using beans I find in the pantry has become somewhat of an art to me.  Luckily for me unlike most kids, Hannah and Liam love beans when they are disguised well.  I’ve come up with some really good recipes that are easy and can be thrown together with those extra beans you find pantry.

I love making dinner in a skillet so my Cheesy Bean Enchilada Skillet is one of my family’s favorites, I made it tonight! 


Ingredients-
•    1 cup rice, cooked according to package directions
•    1 tbsp. olive oil
•    2 cloves garlic, minced
•    1 small onion, diced
•    1 bell pepper, diced
•    1 cup canned corn kernels, drained
•    1 cup canned black beans, drained and rinsed
•    ¾ cup mild enchilada sauce, I used the Old El Paso brand
•    ½ cup mild green enchilada sauce, I used the Old El Paso brand again
•    ½ tsp. chili powder
•    ¼ tsp. cumin
•    ¼ tsp. oregano
•    Salt and pepper to taste
•    1 cup Mexican cheese, shredded
•    2 tbsp. fresh cilantro, chopped

Instructions-
•    In a large skillet heat the olive oil, garlic, onion, and bell pepper stir for about 2-3 minutes.  Add the rice, corn, black beans, enchilada sauces, chili powder, cumin, and oregano and stir until mixed.  Stir and cook for about 5 minutes then add the salt and pepper to taste. 
•    Remove from the heat and top with the cheese and cover until it is melted, garnish with cilantro and enjoy!

My family loves Mexican food so when I have extra beans and the “crew” doesn’t want enchiladas, Cauliflower and Chickpea Tacos are always a hit. 


Ingredients-
•    2 tsp. chili powder
•    1 tsp. ground cumin
•    ¼ tsp. garlic powder
•    ¼ tsp. onion powder
•    1 tsp. sea salt
•    1 tbsp. lime juice
•    1 tbsp. olive oil
•    1 tbsp. water
•    1, 15 oz. can of chickpeas, drained and rinsed
•    1 small head cauliflower, washed, and cut into small florets
•    Tortillas
•    Toppings of your choice, we like using jalapeños, avocado, cilantro, and salsa



Instructions-
•    Preheat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit
•    Mix the chili powder, garlic powder, onion powder, cumin, salt, lime juice, olive oil, water, chickpeas, and cauliflower in a bowl.  Pour the contents of the bowl on a greased baking sheet and roast for 30-35 minutes until the chickpeas are almost crispy and the cauliflower is crispy, stirring occasionally.
•    Assemble the tacos in the tortillas and top with your chosen toppings.  Enjoy your yummy tacos!

When I have a little more time, Double Bean Burgers with Avocado Cream are my no fail dinner that everyone will enjoy!


Ingredients for avocado cream-
•    2/3 cup sour cream
•    1 avocado, peeled, pitted, and chopped
•    10 basil leaves, finely chopped
•    ¼ tsp. salt
•    Pinch of pepper

Instructions for cream-
•    Mix all the ingredients in a bowl with a fork thoroughly,  I sometimes use a food processor to really get a cream.

Ingredients for burgers-
•    1, 15 oz. can of black beans, drained and rinsed
•    1, 15 oz. can of cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
•    1 large egg and 1 large egg white, lightly beaten with the whole egg
•    ½ cup bread crumbs
•    3 tbsp. olive oil
•    3 tbsp. fresh cilantro, chopped
•    4 garlic cloves, minced
•    ½ tsp. paprika
•    ½ tsp. onion powder
•    ¼ tsp. salt
•    ¼ tsp. pepper
•    6 whole wheat buns, or buns of your choice

Instructions for burgers-
•    Mash the beans in a large bowl.  Add the cilantro, garlic, paprika, onion powder, salt and pepper and mix thoroughly. 
•    In another bowl mix the eggs with olive oil and bread crumbs.  Add the mixture to the bean mixture and combine well.  Form the mixture to 6 patties, I use my hands. 
•    Heat a skillet with about 1 tbsp. olive oil and cook the burgers until they are golden on each side. 
•    Top with avocado cream and toppings of your choice on the bun.  Enjoy!

Next time you don’t know what to make and you have a few kinds of beans in your pantry, use one of these recipes!  I am sure your family will love it!

Go Green and Stay Keen,

Julie

No comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe