Wednesday, December 12, 2018

Happy National Poinsettia Day!

With Christmas right around the corner I decided to go out this morning to find some fresh winter plants and crafts for the kids to do while they are home for Christmas break.  While I was at the floral shop I was pleased to see they had a deal on poinsettias, the most Christmas plant of them all. 
 
When I was checking out the nice woman wished me a “Happy National Poinsettia Day!”  Such a coincidence I was in search for holiday plants, and I am certainly not complaining about the deals I got on them either.



After I got home I was interested in learning about the plant that is so iconic to the Christmas season.

Little did I know that there was such a story behind this red plant.  According to the Mexican folklore it is a story about a little poor girl who had nothing to bring to her church on Christmas.  While she was walking she picked some plants along the road and as she entered the church the tips of the leaves turned into a bright and beautiful red flower, the poinsettia.

I had no idea that there was a folklore story behind poinsettia’s or how they became so popular in the US.  National Poinsettia Day was officially declared in honor of Joel Roberts Poinsett who was the first Ambassador to Mexico.  He brought this plant to his home in the US and gave them as Christmas gifts to his friends.  Since then the poinsettia has become one of the most popular Christmas plants.

There is no doubt that the sight of a poinsettia brings the Christmas spirit into the air.  I love how just a simple plant can bring so much life and spirit to a room.  After learning the story behind poinsettias, I went back and bought a few more plants to decorate the restaurant with. 

What a great way to bring the Christmas spirit into a home.  You still have time to go out and get your poinsettias for National Poinsettia Day

Go Green and Stay Keen,

Julie

No comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe