Friday, November 29, 2019

Vegetarian Thanksgiving Dinner

This year has been flying by (again), another Thanksgiving has come and gone.  We hosted another wonderful vegetarian thanksgiving dinner with my parents.  I always look forward to Thanksgiving as a time to showcase delicious vegetarian dishes that are even better than traditional dishes.  This year was very special, my mother came over early in the morning and helped me cook all day, while my father, husband and kids played outside.  It was a Thanksgiving for the books.

My parents have really changed their lifestyle over the past couple years.  They have been learning and really diving into the vegetarian lifestyle.  They have always been healthy people but after seeing all the possibilities of cooking vegetarian and getting protein from plant sources, they have taken the challenge and have been eating mainly vegetarian meals.

In morning on Thanksgiving Day, my mother came over and started helping me cook.  I believe that cooking is one of the best ways to spend time with loved ones.  It had been so long since my mother and I cooked a meal together.  She was so interested in all the spiced and different herbs I used in making the meals.  Finding the perfect mixture of spice and richness is the key in making a delicious dish.

I love trying new recipes so when my mother said she found some she wanted to make for Thanksgiving I couldn’t wait.  She found a really interesting recipe for Portobello mushroom caps and parmesan-herb stuffing.  They ended up turning out great; I will definitely being making them again. 



Overall, our Thanksgiving Day was one of the best I have ever had.  Spending all day in the kitchen with my mother cooking and sipping cider reminded me of all the years as child trying to help her cook dinner.  The meal turned out absolutely incredible.  Everyone, especially the men and the kids, scarfed downed our vegetarian Thanksgiving meal and fell into a food coma, the sure sign it was a great meal.

When I decided to make the change and become vegetarian, I never expected my parents to change their lifestyle but watching them grow and change their eating habits has been a truly rewarding experience.  This Thanksgiving has been one I will never forget.  I am so thankful for my wonderful family and everything I have been blessed with.  Hope everyone had a special Thanksgiving as well.

Go Green and Stay Keen,

Julie

No comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe