Tuesday, March 31, 2015

10 Protein Packed Foods

Getting enough protein in a vegetarian diet doesn’t have to be as hard as people assume.  Many of my friends and family questioned how I was going to get enough when I first became vegetarian, but I knew there were many different was to get an adequate amount.  Here are a few foods I love that are high in protein and delicious.

1.    Lentils are my one of my favorite protein packed foods.  I use them all the time in recipes for soups and many other dishes.

2.    Using Almond Butter instead of peanut creates an entirely new protein filled PB&J.  I use almond butter on sandwiches, on bananas and everything in between.

3.    Chick Peas are a good addition to a vegetarian diet to keep protein content high.  If you don’t like them by themselves, they make a delish hummus.

4.    Muesli is great with soy milk in the morning, image rich and hearty cereal. Muesli is typically made from rolled oats with fruits and nuts.

5.    Edamame are soybeans still in their pods.  They are commonly served with sushi but are also a great snack.

6.    Miso is originally from Japan.  It is made from soybeans and turned into a paste.  Miso is high in protein and makes a great soup base. 

7.    Tempeh is from Indonesia but has become very popular in the US.  It is made from fermented soybeans.  I like to slice it and bake it or fry it like you would meat.  It is a great substitute in almost any dish.

8.    Quinoa has become very popular in recent years.  This grain is one of the few that has complete proteins.  It can be cooked many different ways, I like using it in soups and as a salad topper

9.    If you are having problems getting enough protein in your diet try adding Spirulina.  It is actually an algae that is sold in flakes or powder.  I add it to smoothies, oatmeal, and granola bar recipes.

10.    Chia seeds aren’t just for growing on clay heads….cha cha cha chia pets :)… they are high in protein and have omega-3 fatty acids and contain more fiber than flax seeds or nuts.  I add them to thicken smoothie and to my pancakes.



Greatlist.com has a list of complete vegetarian proteins and a wonderful infographic that highlights some of the good protein sources I did not mention. 

It isn’t difficult consuming enough protein with a vegetarian diet when you am aware of what you are eating and consciously making sure to get enough nutrients.  Plant proteins are healthy and help maintain a healthy lifestyle.  Being a vegetarian has made me appreciate the nutrients in food and how it provides for the body.

Go Green and Stay Keen,

Julie

20 comments:

  1. I know for a fact that I do not get enough protein in my diet. Thanks for the ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are really great tips. I'm always trying to eat healthier.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been obsessed with lentils lately! Such a great source of protein!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've always known that chick peas and peanut butter are full of protein. Thankfully I love them both!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am Asian and eats rice everyday. I cannot live without it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love edamame and lentils! I didn't realize chia seeds were protein-rich. I'll definitely add more of them to my diet now.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've been a vegetarian for as long as I can remember (I just don't like meat). It's good to see these suggestions for protein!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've always been an animal lover and ate meat very moderately but fter watching a documentary about the hormones and the terrible conditions animals that are destined to kitchen tables live in, it wasn’t a hard to commit to a vegetarian lifestyle :)

      Delete
  8. I have never had miso soup before, I think I want to try it now. I did not know that it was made out of soybean paste. Just pinned your infographic - love it. I have eaten buckwheat hot cereal before and Iiked it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love chickpeas. I grind them up with other veggies for chick pea burgers. I have to be careful what I eat. We just bought some buckwheat flour to make pizza but have not tried it yet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let me know how that pizza was! AND do you have a blog? Sorry, I still haven't found it. Please let me know :)

      Delete
  10. I am always looking for ways to add in more vegetarian protein. I will have to try some of these ideas.

    ReplyDelete

Subscribe